Saturday, May 29, 2021

1950s great time to be growing up UK

  The 1950's were indeed a great time to be growing up, I had 6 brothers and 5 sisters yeah really! and it hold many fond memories like making do with what you had, most people were in the same boat and helped each other. 


We played for hours outside, the sun always seemed to shine longer back then we had games like Kick-the-Can and follow the arrow and you can't cross the red river and chap door run fast and boagge racing and cowboys n Indians. 


One of my most cherished memories is standing under the street light in the long summer nights just chatting with friends for hours or until we were called in by our parents. 


I have children of my own now( only two though) and I cant help but feel sorry for them because they missed out on all that was good about the 50's all they have now is computer games and the like, we had no tv in those days, only one boy in the street had a tv and we were invited in on a Saturday morning to watch such things as The Loan Ranger or Flash Gordon. 


There were very few houses with drive ways and even less people with cars you could play on the road and never see a car for ages. 


I can also remember being able to go to the co-op with empty milk bottles and getting sweets back in return for them and I have been told recently that the gov are to bring that back to encourage green issues. 


I recall the smell of fresh rolls being made in a little back street bakery, we used to be sent to buy the rolls the smell was fantastic and you could smell it all over the town, we could watch the baker as he made the rolls for us and they stayed piping hot till we got them home. 


I have many many fond memories of that time in my life but they pass all too quickly, getting older is sad fact of life so I am grateful that I have my memory to relive the 50's All the things they tell us are bad for us now we did them all back then and they never did us any harm, I hate what progress has done today because although we did not have as much money then we were much happier then I reckon if we did not move on I would not be able to share the memories with you because this computer that I am typing very badly on would never have been invented. That's all for now, but I am off to bed now and I will lie awake for a while reliving my childhood days 


Oh I have just remembered at few more games but I will leave in the memory bank for next time. take care kind regards from joe soap

No comments:

Post a Comment

Growing Up and Olympics United States

  Memory Posted By: Anthony The first Olympic Games I ever remember watching were in 1992, in Barcelona. I don’t recall this specifically be...