Sunday, May 30, 2021

TV's in The 1950's U.S.A.

 Today I went and bought my new plasma TV and because it was so big and SO LIGHT it reminded me of the first TV my parents bought. 


It was about 1955 or so and a 12" screen black and white Majestic. It was a realy big deal and my parents were more protective of the TV than anything else in the house , It was very heavy and whenever you stood near it you could feel the heat it generated, it was a solid wooden cabinett and pretty sure it had valves inside. 



All the TV stations would close down about midnight and return at five or six in the morning. We'd get up early saturdays and watch the test patterns, and I think we had 2 channells to choose from and they closed down with the star spangled banner .  




It was 10 years later that we got the first color TV with 3 channells to choose from which spent more time broken down than working but when it worked it was cool.

  

 Memory Posted By:    Frank 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Growing Up and Olympics United States

  Memory Posted By: Anthony The first Olympic Games I ever remember watching were in 1992, in Barcelona. I don’t recall this specifically be...